Twenty Norwood runners raise £59,000 at London Marathon

24 April 2018

Norwood had an impressive team of 20 runners at the London Marathon on Sunday, 22 April. Between them they have so far raised £59,000, with more donations expected in the coming weeks.

Leading the way was Joshua Schwartz, who has so far raised £10,800 for Norwood. Joshua ran in memory of his brother in law Marc Lebe, who sadly passed away last year.

Marc lived at Norwood’s Ravenswood village in Berkshire for the last few years of his life, and Joshua wanted to ensure others had access to the care that Marc had. Joshua ran a time of 4:53.

Joshua says: “The weather made it a really tough day, but the knowledge of the amount raised and the difference that would make to so many people through Norwood kept me going to the end. I’m sure Marc would have been very proud.

“Norwood made the last few years of Marc’s life meaningful and fulfilled. They not only provided the complex care that Marc needed but also provided an amazing environment where Marc was supported, loved and genuinely happy despite his difficulties. His carers were incredibly special people who quickly became his closest friends.”

Another who brought in a lot of money for Norwood is Flora Frank, from Edgware, who has so far raised £9,000. Flora, 76, ran her 37th full marathon on Sunday, having only taken part in her first at the age of 53.

She ran for Norwood to honour her brother Nissim Joshua Moses zl, who was “a very happy resident” at Ravenswood.

But this year was especially emotional for Flora. Last October, her husband Herbert passed away. Herbert was often there in person to support Flora, and she says this year she “missed his smiling face greeting me at the finishing line”.

Adam Waters, 28, ran to raise money for Norwood and honour his remarkable late grandfather Dennis Temple, who grew up in the Jewish Orphanage (as it was known then) in West Norwood and went on to fly for the RAF in WWII.

He ran alongside brother-in-law Andrew Cohen, 31, from Edgware. Adam and Andrew both ran for Norwood (now the largest Jewish children, family and learning disability charity in the UK) to honour Dennis, who Adam says “always spoke fondly” about his time at the orphanage.

“He made great friends there, and got up to many hijinks,” Adam says. “He once snuck out of the orphanage to go to the pictures and see a film he had particularly wanted to see. When he arrived back later that day – very relieved he hadn’t been caught – the orphanage announced they were taking the boys on an outing for a special treat to the pictures to see the exact film he had just watched!”

Another special memory Dennis treasured was the only Bar Mitzvah present he ever received: a siddur, which was given to him from the orphanage. After leaving, he went on to lead a remarkable life, showing great courage during and beyond WWII.

“He went on to serve in the RAF during WWII, was a strong Zionist and almost signed up to go to Israel and fight in 1948 – until he met my grandma!” Adam continues.

“Afterwards he went on a secret, dangerous trip to the Soviet Union to bring Jewish books and food to Refuseniks. He sadly passed away five years ago at the age of 89. He is survived by his wife Rita, two daughters, seven grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.”