To be read in conjunction with the individual Terms and Conditions of any third party operator working with Norwood in organising this challenge.
1. Your Challenge
- To enter this challenge you must complete the online registration form. On receipt of a completed registration form and the registration deposit, you will receive confirmation of your payment and information containing details of the event. Together these form a binding contract which is subject to these terms and conditions.
- We will try to accommodate any special requirements as detailed in your booking subject to availability. However we cannot guarantee that these will be provided and any failure to do so is not constituted as a breach of these terms and conditions.
- To enter this challenge you must be at least 18 years old by the event date or accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- All of our challenges are designed to be physically demanding but achievable and it is your responsibility to ensure that you have the appropriate level of fitness and are in good health in order to participate. If you have any medical conditions which could be adversely affected by exercise, particularly a heart condition, or if you have any doubts about your health, please consult your doctor. You will be asked to complete an online medical form upon registration and must keep us advised of any medical conditions that develop after your registration. If you are over the age of 60 or declare any medical conditions, we will require a medical declaration form to be completed, signed and stamped by your GP.
If while on the challenge, our doctor/medic or challenge leader gives you specific safety or medical advice aimed at protecting your welfare, you must abide by this advice.
2. Registration Fee
We do require a registration fee for this challenge and offer a seven day “cooling off” period whereby if you cancel your place within seven days of registration, we will fully refund your registration fee. Unless the event is cancelled by Norwood, the registration fee is then non-refundable and does not form part of the required sponsorship. Once your place is confirmed, a sum will be paid to the operator to cover the costs of any transportation , accommodation and ground costs.
If you have paid all of your costs for this challenge on registration and cancel more than 56 days prior to departure, then the registration fee as outlined in the brochure will be kept and the balance returned to you.
Immediately upon registration, you should ensure that you have a suitable travel and medical insurance policy in place to protect yourself against curtailment or cancellation.
3. Cancellation by you
If it becomes necessary to cancel your challenge, you may do so by notifying us in writing. Upon receipt and acknowledgement by us of your written advice, cancellation will take effect. The following charges will apply.
- A full refund of your registration fee if cancellation occurs within the seven day cooling off period from the date of registration.
- More than 56 days (8 weeks) prior to departure, loss of registration fee plus insurance premium (if taken the Norwood policy).
- 56 – 29 days, loss of registration fee plus 50%of the costs of the challenge as stated in our brochure, plus insurance premium.
- 28 – 15 days, loss of registration plus 75% of the costs of the challenge plus insurance premium.
- Less than 14 days prior to departure and you will be liable to the loss of your registration fee and the full costs of the challenge.
We strongly recommend that travel and medical insurance be instigated at the time of registration.
4. Cancellation of one challenge but transfer to another
If it becomes necessary for you to cancel your challenge but you are able to transfer to another challenge in the same calendar year , the below timeframes will apply
- More than 56 days prior to departure, your non-refundable registration fee will be transferred to your new challenge along with any sponsorship raised to date.
- 56 – 29 days prior to departure and costs will have been incurred for your place on the challenge. The registration fee and any sponsorship raised will therefore be used to offset any cancellation charges incurred by the charity and any balance transferred to your new challenge.
- 28 – 15 days, you will be liable for 75% of the cost of the challenge unless an immediate replacement can be found for your place. If an immediate replacement is found, you will lose your non-refundable deposit and will be liable for any cancellation charges. If a replacement cannot be found for your place, you will be liable for 75% of the cost of the challenge.
- Less than 14 days prior to departure, you will be liable for 100% of the cost of the challenge unless an immediate replacement can be found for your place. If an immediate replacement is found, you will lose your non-refundable deposit and will be liable for any cancellation charges. If a replacement cannot be found for your place, you will be liable for 100% of the cost of the challenge.
5. Cancellation by us
In the event we have to cancel the challenge whether as a result of Force Majeure or any other reason that makes it impractical to proceed with the challenge, we will provide you with a prompt and full refund of all monies that have been paid by you to us and our liability for cancellation will be capped in the amount of all monies paid by you to us. No payments are made compensating for losses or costs you incur in the case of a cancellation. You should have an appropriate insurance policy in place to protect against cancellation.
6. Travel and Medical Insurance
The registration fee does not cover insurance and while insurance is not a compulsory condition for this challenge, it is highly recommended. Whether it be life, medical or liability insurance for illness, accident, injury, death, loss or damage that may arise in connection with the participation in the event, you are strongly advised to obtain such insurance yourself. It is your responsibility to ensure the details of the insurance policy are provided to us at least 8 weeks prior to departure or we reserve the right to include you on the group policy and charge you a supplement of £25. Any false or misleading information given by you in respect of your insurance policy which may result in your stated insurance company refusing to cover your costs relating to a claim, will make you fully liable and you will be responsible for covering any cancellation charges borne by the charity.
If you withdraw in circumstances where recovery of costs can be indemnified under your travel insurance policy, you hereby agree that you will co-operate in the recovery of these charges from the insurers and any sums recovered will be paid to Norwood.
7. Challenge price and payment options
Norwood reserves the right to pass onto you, regardless of which payment option you have chosen, any additional costs associated with the challenge which have been incurred as a result of circumstances beyond our control (including the cost of fuel, tax, accommodation and fluctuations in the exchange rate). You will be informed in writing and should the increase exceed 9% over and above what you have already paid, you have the right to cancel your booking if notice is given within one week of being informed.
By registering on this challenge and dependent upon which fundraising option you choose, you are agreeing to raise at least the minimum fundraising target as stated in the event brochure. Although this is the required amount, please do not treat this as a target as Norwood needs each and every one of our participants to raise as much as possible to ensure we can continue to provide the vital support to the thousands of people in our care.
Fundraising money raised for one named event cannot subsequently be used against another event even if the minimum fundraising target for the first event has been exceeded unless (i) the sponsors have been informed and have consented to the monies being transferred or (ii) an event is cancelled or a participant unable to take part in which case the money pledged may be transferred. No sponsorships donations made to the charity will be refunded back to you directly and only back to individual donors upon written request.
It is also important to note that Gift Aid is NOT included as part of the minimum fundraising requirement.
9. Itinerary Changes
All of our challenges are complicated and may be subject to change. They are planned months in advance and sometimes changes to the itinerary are required which are beyond both our control and that of the operator we use. Should there be a significant material change prior to departure which is not as a result of a Force Majeure we will notify you as soon as possible.
This event is not a race. You agree to observe all instructions and rules issued by Norwood, its agents or suppliers, whether before or during the course of the Challenge. The Challenge leader may at any time during the course of the Challenge terminate your participation if they consider it necessary for the health or safety of you or the group.
You agree that you are physically capable of taking part in this event and agree to be solely responsible for your actions and safety and that Norwood are not responsible for any injury or illness, for loss or damage to personal effects, any accidents or death however so arising, except where injury or death arises as a result of Norwood negligence.
Minimum age of entry is 17 years.
12. Flights, airlines, travel arrangements and delays
You must check all information sent to you and make sure you arrive at the point of departure in sufficient time. Changes made by any travel provider do not constitute a material change to your challenge and do not entitle you to cancel.
We do not accept liability for any delays in your travel arrangements or reasonable changes in your itinerary as a result of Force Majeure.
13. Changes by you
Some changes may be made by you subject to availability. We will try to accommodate any changes as requested but any charges incurred will be passed directly to you.
14. Information, visas and other requirements
Any information or advice provided by Norwood on matters such as permits, government travel advice or warnings, visa, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage and special equipment is given in good faith but without responsibility on the part of Norwood. You accept responsibility for obtaining all necessary travel information and documentation required for the challenge. We will send you details on visa along with compulsory inoculations, but you should always seek the advice of your doctor. It is your responsibility to ensure these requirements are in place prior to departure and we accept no liability if you are denied entry to any country, port or airport detailed on the itinerary.
15. Standard and quality of accommodation and services
You should not have unreasonable expectations of the facilities that will be provided which in some remote areas and destinations may be below what you expect at home. Wherever possible, rooms will be shared with someone of your choice. Numbers per room will vary subject to size, location and availability.
16. Acceptance of risk and release
- You should be aware that this is a challenge. In addition to the usual dangers and risks, some of which may include physical exertion for which you may not be prepared, you may also experience weather extremes and remoteness from normal medical services. You acknowledge that the enjoyment and excitement of participating in a challenge is derived from this inherent risk in travelling and undertaking activities outside of normal safety levels at home. You agree to observe all instructions and rules issued by Norwood, its agents and suppliers whether before, during or after the challenge. The challenge leader may at any time during the course of the challenge terminate your participation if they consider it necessary for the health and safety of either you or the group.
- You agree that Norwood, its Trustees, directors, officers , employees and agents ("Released Parties") are hereby released and forever discharged from any and all liabilities (of any kind or nature whatsoever, whether in law or equity, direct or indirect, joint or several, foreseen or unforeseen, contingent or actual, accrued or unaccrued, liquidated or unliquidated, present or future, known or unknown, disclosed or undisclosed, suspected or unsuspected, however and whenever arising and in whatever capacity and jurisdiction) arising from or out of, or in any way relating to the Challenge. You also agree that you will not bring any legal, arbitral, administrative, regulatory or other action or proceedings against any Released Parties in relation to the Challenge and also agree that if you do take any such proceedings or otherwise assert a claim against the Released Parties damages are not an adequate remedy and, accordingly, that injunctive or other similar relief is appropriate to restrain that breach.
You must comply with the laws and regulations of the country visited.
18. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions and the contract of which they form a part as described in paragraph 1(a) above is and all non-contractual obligations and other matters arising from or connected with it are governed by English law. The courts of England have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute arising from or connected with these Terms and Conditions and the contract of which they form a part as described in paragraph 1(a).
By taking part in a Norwood challenge, you agree that any photographs taken during the event may be used by Norwood for publicity and marketing purposes.
I confirm that I will be at least 17 years old by the time of the event. and I am medically fit to participant in the challenge. I will comply with any rules or regulation relating to the Event as Norwood or the Event Organiser may notify me of from time to time and follow all instructions given to me to ensure the safety of myself and others.
I have read and understood the terms and conditions and agree to comply with them.
Photographs I appear in during the event can be used by Norwood for publicity and marketing purposes.