A/4 – Papers of the Residential School for Jewish Deaf ChildrenThe Norwood ArchiveA – Papers of the Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/1 – Administrative records of the Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/1/1 – Committee minutesA/1/2 – Pupil admissions and school leavers of the Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/1/3 – Papers of Norwood functions and excursionsA/1/4 – School administrationA/1/5 – Papers of the Orphan Aid SocietiesA/2 – General correspondence regarding the Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/3 – Architectural Plans of the Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/4 – Papers of the Residential School for Jewish Deaf ChildrenA/5 – Corporate records of the Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/6 – Fundraising records of the Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/7 – Religious and cultural papers of Jews’ Hospital and Orphan AsylumA/8 – Miscellaneous papersREFERENCE CODE: A/4TITLE: Papers of the Residential School for Jewish Deaf ChildrenNAME OF CREATOR: Residential School for Jewish Deaf Children.DATE: 1908-1938DESCRIPTION LEVEL: SeriesEXTENT/MEDIUM: 1 folderSCOPE & CONTENT:Correspondence (1950-1974)Admission registers circa 1960.BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY:The Residential School for Jewish Deaf Children was established in 1865 by a committee of Jewish men with a concern for the education of their own hearing impaired children. With the financial backing of Baroness Mayer de Rothschild the committee purchased 15 Mount Street in Whitechapel and named it the ‘Jews’ Deaf and Dumb Home.’ To cope with the growing numbers of admissions the Home moved three times between 1866 and 1875 before settling in Wandsworth at Nightingale Lane in 1899.It had one final move to Talbot Road in Tottenham before it closed in 1965 due to declining numbers. The chairman for a particular time was Dr Henry Behrend who coincidently was also President of Norwood in 1871. A new centre for Jewish Deaf Children opened in 1975 in South Woodford and Norwood assumed the responsibility for its administration. The centre should not be confused with the ‘Woodford School for Deaf Children’ that sat adjacent to the new premises.